Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Lost in Austen



I love Jane Austen.  I love the books.  I love the movies.  I love books about the books and movies about the movies.  I own Jane Austen Book Club and really enjoy listening to them talking about all of Austen's amazing novels.  In 2009, the British mini television series, Lost in Austen, was released on DVD in the U.S. and somehow I just heard about it.

Lost in Austen is about Amanda Price, played by Jemima Rooper, is a young woman living in London and grew up reading Pride and Prejudice and loves the romance of it all.  She would rather spend her nights curled up with Austen then spend time with her not very nice boyfriend.  One day she hears something in the bathroom and discovers Elizabeth Bennett, who tells her of a doorway that leads between present day London and The Bennett's home in Victorian England.  Elizabeth urges her to go through the door and they end up swapping places.  Amanda is then immersed into Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice and with Elizabeth's absence is required to help set the story the way it's supposed to go.  But because of Amanda's presence everything changes and she has to try and realign the characters with the people they are really supposed to be with.  This short but amazing mini series, is very funny and sorta like a train wreck to watch.  You just can't look away.  Because I love Pride and Prejudice it was very entertaining to watch how everything goes wrong and how Amanda learns to be in Austen's world.  I would recommend watching this to anyone who loves Austen.  As an avid reader, I can't help but think about how amazing it would be if I could be sucked into my favorite books.

No comments:

Post a Comment